Born: August 18, 1940
Adam Makowicz - jazz legend, master of improvisation, piano virtuoso.
European Jazz Forum magazine voted Adam a Number One Jazz Pianist six years successively. Decorated with the Officer's Cross of Merit of the Republic of Poland and many other important and respected acknowledgments, he has recorded several dozens of albums and performed in the world's best concert venues, playing with the world's top musicians. Most recently Adam Makowicz joined the illustrious group of most influential polish emigrants in the 400 years history of the USA.
Makowicz was born in Czech Silesia to Polish parents. In 1946 his family returned to Poland. The first music teacher of the young Adam was his mother- herself a pianist and a singer....
- Makowicz vs. Mozdzer at Carnegie Hall by Joel Roberts
1. Adam will make the history books.
Earl Fatha Hines
2. The most extraordinary piano talent in the last thirty years.
John Hammond, Columbia Records producer
3. Adam Makowicz is one of the three or four greatest living jazz pianists...
Alistair Cooke, PBS commentator
4. A rare artist who grips and holds attention, Makowicz handles the classics of the American songbook with an aplomb equal to the way he deals with the devastatingly complex structures of his own compositions. A gifted improviser with splendid technical prowess, the pianist can also offer warmth and affection in melodic lines, the balance of fine taste, pungent swing and a jubilant approach inevitably generating audience cheer.
Geoff Chapman, Toronto Star