Alisdair MacRae Birch: Jazz Guitarist, Bassist (Upright/Double Bass and Bass Guitar) and Arranger
Originally from the UK, Alisdair MacRae Birch grew up in a musical family. Alisdair was raised with the Scottish traditions, Scottish songs and dance, and in the British music hall tradition (similar to American vaudeville). He has performed worldwide from Big-Band Jazz, through to quartets, trios, duos, and solo in music ranging from Jazz, to African Highlife, Jazz-Funk, Pop, Reggae, Calypso, Soca, Zouk and Samba. Known mainly for his guitar playing, Alisdair also continues to perform and teach his first instruments the Double Bass/Bass Guitar and Violoncello. He has worked as an artist in his own right and as much in demand sideman both live and in the studio. He has played, arranged and orchestrated many artists music, advertising jingles, movies and plays....
LocationWhite Plains, NY
Willing to teachAdvanced students only.
Qualifications and Studies
- MFA Jazz Performance, State University New York (Purchase)
- BSc. (Hons.) Philosophy and Psychology, City University, London, UK
- Guildhall School of Music and Royal School of Music Exams, UK (Distinction) Plectrum Guitar, Violoncello and Bass.
- Royal School of Church Music Chorister Exams, UK (Distinction)
- Guitar and Jazz Studies: Andy Watson, Barney Kessel, George Adie, Esmond Selwyn, Howard Roberts, Jack Wilkins, Joe Monk, John Mizzarolli, Steve Kahn, and Vic Juris.
- Bass Studies: Derek Sewell and Tony Muschamp.
- Arranging, Harmony and Theory Studies: Dick Grove and Tony Douglas