I have always been first and foremost interested in exploring and finding my own musical identity. I guess it's something that keeps on changing and has it's own evolution along with life, as I keep on growing and developing musically. Having a classical and jazz music education, living in different parts of the world and speaking several languages, was a base to always want to widen my musical horizons & perspective on one side, and connect to my roots on the other, which in my case it's not a trivial question.
Besides my own projects, I am involved with various groups, as a sideman as well. I am involved in groups from straight-ahead to modern jazz ,Ethnic and different folklore influenced groups, to collaboration with modern dance projects and more. My own music would be a cross-road of all these experiences, including Jewish and middle eastern influences. I have a deep passion for film music so I would name this as an influence as well on my music....
* 'Outstanding original compositions written by David Golek. Golek is a talented guitarist with a deep melodic sense, full of imagination and integrity' (Globes magazine).
* 'Golek is a guitarist who writes music without stylistic borders. He does not deal with free-jazz but rather the freedom to make jazz in a soulful and unrestricted way. Golek works with a versatile group.' (Maariv newspaper, Israel).
* ' A soloist with surprising flexibility. A band with their own character ' (NRC handelsblad, Holland).
* 'David Golek is a young guitarist who has developed a beautiful and mature way of jazz playing. The Album is not pretencious and reflects purity like the ideas of peace and love, which Golek talks about and practices himself. We had the opportunity a short while ago to listen to him at the 'Jamboree' in Barcelona, where we could see that it concerns a modest and dilligent musician . A real discovery. (Rated 4 stars out of five).'Guitarra Actual (Spain)
* 'Golek gathered European musicians from different countries to create a fine, delicate, dream-like and funky album, which it's concept is that things can be done differently. A personal yearning for peace which combines a Brazilian touch, sophisticated 'around the fire'-like songs, and intimate funk. Stiring and sophisticated.' The Third Ear magazine (Israel).
* ...there is passionate musicianship and the atmosphere is there. With this cd David Golek is profiled as a Jazz-guitarist with his own style, which will find the way to a lot of musical hearts. (Translated from 'Muziek Wereld' review, Holland)