Born: December 6, 1940
Jay Leonhart was born on December 6, 1940, in Baltimore Maryland. His parents, sisters, and brothers (6 kids in all), were all musically inclined. Everyone played the piano. By the age of 7, Jay and his older brother Bill were playing banjos and guitars and mandolins and basses. They played country music, jazz -- anything with a beat. In their early teens, Jay and Bill were television stars in Baltimore and were touring the country performing on their banjos.
When Jay was fourteen he started playing the bass in The Pier Five Dixieland Jazz Band in Baltimore and never looked back. After studying at The Peabody Institute, Jay attended The Berklee School of Music and The Advanced School of Contemporary Music in Toronto, before leaving school to start touring with the traveling big bands of the late 50's and early 60's....
- Alone Together by Karla Cornejo Villavicencio
- Cool by Dr. Judith Schlesinger
- Fly Me to the Moon: Tribute to Ray Brown by J. Robert Bragonier
- Rodgers and Leonhart by C. Michael Bailey
- Galaxies and Planets by Dave Nathan