Born: June 19, 1949
Internationally renowned jazz guitarist John Stein was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri USA where he took up his instrument at an early age. His talent for and love of music ultimately earned him a faculty position at Berklee College of Music in Boston, where he is an Associate Professor in the Harmony Department.
John has performed as a leader or a sideman with some of the world's finest jazz acts, including collaborations with John LaPorta, David Fathead Newman, Larry Goldings, Bill Pierce, Zé Eduardo Nazario, John Lockwood, and many others. His compositions and performances cover the spectrum of jazz, from blues to bebop to bossa to swing. John has toured in the United States as well as in Brazil, Germany, France and Switzerland, and enjoys playing in a variety of contexts — from solo guitar to large ensembles....
- John Stein . . . the poet of the classical jazz guitar. Dick Crockett The Voice - 88.7fm
- John Stein is one of the great guitarists, in the tradition of Joe Pass and Tal Farlow. Raising The Roof proves my point! Ron Della Chiesa - WPLM, 99.1 fm
- What a gift this man has. He's in an elite class: a mere handful of jazz guitarists who consistently put taste above chops and flash. John Stein has the ability to say so much more with less effort than most of his contemporaries can muster. Wayne Everett Goins, KC JAM
- Stein has the touch - a bond with the guitar that only comes from deep spiritual dedication to those strings. Playing a collection of songs so sweetly is a sign of pure musical intelligence. Layla Macoran - Jazz Inside New York
- His guitar work steals the show. Even though he's all about understatement, pulling out poignant lines and complex, Joe Pass-like chordal journeys, Stein simply can't help but impress. Jim Allen - LimeWire Store
- John Stein is one of the finest jazz guitarists you'll ever hear, with beautiful touch, tone, swing, detail, and emotion. He is what you might call deep mainstream, surprising at every turn with familiar material. Working with a clean, undistorted classic jazz-guitar sound, he renders maximum swing and expression. There's a wealth of detail - the dips and turns of phrases, accents falling like words - that he gets at even the fastest tempos. Jon Garelick - The Boston Phoenix
Hi FlyWhaling City Sound
Raising the RoofWhaling City Sound
EncounterpointWhaling City Sound
Concerto Internacional de JazzWhaling City Sound
This information is provided by discogs.com or the profile administrator.