Born: June 19, 1949
Internationally renowned jazz guitarist John Stein was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri USA where he took up his instrument at an early age. His talent for and love of music ultimately earned him a faculty position at Berklee College of Music in Boston, where he is an Associate Professor in the Harmony Department.
John Stein is an experienced teacher, clinician, recording artist, and author. John has performed as a leader or a sideman with some of the world's finest jazz acts, and his compositions and performances cover the spectrum of jazz styles.
John is a prolific recording artist as a leader, in addition to the contributions he has made to other artists' projects. His newest recording, Emotion [WSC 066], was released in 2014....
- Hi Fly by Edward Blanco
- Raising the Roof by Matthew Warnock
- Encounterpoint by Matthew Warnock
- Concerto Internacional de Jazz by Chris M. Slawecki
- Concerto Internacional de Jazz by Jim Santella
- Interplay by Jerry D'Souza
- Conversation Pieces by Jack Bowers
- John Stein . . . the poet of the classical jazz guitar. Dick Crockett The Voice - 88.7fm
- John Stein is one of the great guitarists, in the tradition of Joe Pass and Tal Farlow. Raising The Roof proves my point! Ron Della Chiesa - WPLM, 99.1 fm
- What a gift this man has. He's in an elite class: a mere handful of jazz guitarists who consistently put taste above chops and flash...