Born: August 30, 1944
Born in Tavistock, Devon in 1944, composer/multi-instrumentalist John Surman is one of the key figures in a generation of European musicians who have crucially expanded the international horizons of jazz during the past thirty years or so. Long acknowledged as an improviser of world class, Surman has also composed a body of work which extends far beyond the normal range of the jazz repertoire.
Already, by the late 60s, it was clear that Surman was a phenomenon. He started out as a teenager playing the music of fellow Devonian Mike Westbrook, and then amazed the London establishment with displays of extravagant instrumental proficiency combined with a passionate, rumbustious imagination....
Looking for the Next OneCuneiform Records
Saltash BellsECM Records
Flashpoint: NDR Jazz Workshop - April '69Cuneiform Records
The Rainbow Band SessionsLosen Records
Tierney Sutton Band: DesireTelarc Records
Rain On The WindowECM Records
Brewster's RoosterECM Records
This information is provided by discogs.com or the profile administrator.
Watch More Videos
- Portrait of a Romantic (6:49)
- Looking for the Next One by Glenn Astarita
- Saltash Bells by John Kelman
- The Rainbow Band Sessions by John Kelman
- Flashpoint: NDR Jazz Workshop - April '69 by Nic Jones
- Flashpoint: NDR Jazz Workshop - April '69 by Troy Collins
- Flashpoint: NDR Jazz Workshop - April '69 by John Kelman