Born: January 26
Ken Field is a saxophonist, flautist, percussionist, and composer. Since 1988 he has been a member of the internationally acclaimed electrified modern music ensemble Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, with whom he has recorded eight CDs.
Field leads the Revolutionary Snake Ensemble, a experimental and improvisational brass band. Year of the Snake, the group's 2003 debut, was included on best- of-year lists from WNYC Radio (New York), the Gambit Weekly (New Orleans), and Radio Popolare (Milan, Italy). 2008's Forked Tongue spent 2 months on the CMJ North American jazz top 20 chart. The New Yorker selected the Forked Tongue NYC CD release performance as its nightlife pick of the week. The group has performed at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the Brooklyn Academy of Music, the Museum of Fine Arts (Boston), the Puffin Cultural Forum, Berklee Performance Center, and numerous other venues, and has been nominated for two Boston Music Awards and several Boston Phoenix/WFNX Best Music Poll awards....
- Nominated for Boston Music Award (RSE). 2004, 2005.
- Nominated for Best Music Poll award (RSE). 2003, 2004, 2005.
- Utah State Historical Society Antiquities Award for work on Nine Mile Canyon film. 2001.
- Named to short list (with Karen Aqua) for Artists & Communities: America Creates for the Millennium. 1999.
- Named semifinalist in Musician Magazine's "Best Unsigned" competition. 1997.
- Named one of "Boston's Top 10 Unsigned Acts": The Tab, Boston, MA. 1996.
- Nominated "Best Other Instrument" in Boston: The Noise, Boston, MA. 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998..
- Third Prize, Soundtrack Category (for "Nine Lives"): ASIFA-East Animation Awards, NYC. 1988.
- Voted #3 Horn Player in Boston: The Beat, Boston, MA. 1986.
- Listed in Who's Who in the East. 1986-.
The music is what counts, and Forked Tongue demonstrates why the Revolutionary Snake Ensemble matters. Steve Greenlee, JazzTimes
Under the SkinInnova Recordings
Tokyo In FSublingual Records
Pictures of MotionDreamusic
This information is provided by discogs.com or the profile administrator.
Willing to teach:
Advanced students only.
Experienced and patient teacher with national & international performance credentials; private half-hour lessons in West Concord; Monday afternoon/evening; all levels; contact for references & details.
1. "Improvisation for Non-Improvisors" 2. "Soundtrack Design for Animation" 3. "Brass Bands from Bourbon Street to Sesame Street" 4. "Technology as a Tool" Presentation, residency, and workshop experience includes Wellesley College (MA), Alfred University (NY), Western New Mexico University, Sheridan College (WY), the Artists' Association of Nantucket (MA), Applewild School (MA), Camden-Rockport High School/YouthArts (ME), New Mexico Military Institute, the Carolina Film Festival (NC), Emory University (GA), the University of North Carolina, Hilo & Waiakea High Schools (HI), Dartmouth College (NH), the Massachusetts College of Art (MA), Lebanon Valley College (PA), the Boston Museum of Science (MA), the Creative Music Orchestra (New Haven, CT), the Fitchburg (MA) Art Museum, and, with Delfeayo Marsalis, the Nunez Correctional Learning Center (Port Sulpher, LA). The Saxophone Journal featured a Masterclass CD by Field based on the layered saxophone improvisations from his first solo CD Subterranea.