Born: May 20
A classically trained vocalist, Mary Ellen made her professional debut in 1988 by performing operatic arias at Philadelphia art openings. Simultaneously she was pursuing an interest in Country & Western music by singing with local bands of this genre for five years, until she settled in her niche within the jazz repertoire. Her father played guitar and banjo in society orchestras featuring popular and jazz standards during the 1940s and 1950s and as a child she grew up listening to this music around the house. She has been performing professionally as a jazz vocalist for over twenty years and considers herself very fortunate to be working with accomplished Philadelphia-based jazz musicians such as pianist Tom Lawton, bassist Lee Smith, tenor sax men Larry McKenna & Robert Bootsie Barnes, guitarist Michael Kennedy, and trumpeter John Swana....
- Mary Ellen Desmond Quartet: 11th Annual Comfort and Joy Concert
- Mary Ellen Desmond and Her Quartet at Chris' Jazz Cafe, Philadelphia
- Desmond at the Curtis Arboretum: A Great Taste of Philly Jazz on a Summer...
- A Holiday Jazz Benefit Concert with Mary Ellen Desmond, Philadelphia
- Darn That Dream by Victor L. Schermer
Mary Ellen Desmond by Bruce Klauber http://jazztimes.com/community/articles/45296-singer-mary-ellen-desmond-the-most-refreshing-sound-in-jazz
Mary Ellen Desmond and Her Quartet at Chris' Jazz Cafe, Philadelphia by Victor L. Schermer http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=33920