Born: January 24, 1967 Primary Instrument: Trumpet
Marcus Printup, who was born and raised in Conyers, Georgia, had his first musical experiences hearing the fiery gospel music his parents sang in church, and would later discover jazz as a senior in high school.
While attending the University of North Florida on a music scholarship, he won the International Trumpet Guild Jazz Trumpet Competition. In 1991, Mr. Printup's life changed drastically when he met his mentor to this day, the great pianist Marcus Roberts. Mr. Roberts introduced him to Wynton Marsalis, which led to his induction into the Jazz @ Lincoln Center Orchestra in 1993.
Mr. Printup has performed and/or recorded with Betty Carter, Dianne Reeves, Eric Reed, Cyrus Chestnut, Wycliffe Gordon, Marcus Roberts among many others....
“I kind of would equate this band to the Detroit Pistons three or four years ago when they won the (NBA) championship,” says Printup. “They didn’t have a standout player. They had a team that drew together to win and create something beautiful. That’s what I think we do. It’s easy to be selfish and want to play all the solos, because we all love to improvise, but I just get a kick out of being in the same trumpet section with Wynton (Marsalis), Ryan Kisor and Sean Jones. Every member of the band is at the highest level, from a creative standpoint, of improvisation.” Marcus Printup/Written by Wayne Bledsoe of Knoxville News
1. Weather Bird 2. Nardis 3. Mr. Kenyatta 4. Later 5. Liquid Streets 6. Con Alma 7. Mr. Clean 8. Sunday 9. Theme for Maxine 10. Nostalgia 11. Tiny Capers
Marcus Printup (trumpet); Gregory Tardy (tenor saxophone); Aaron Diehl (piano); Corcoran Holt (bass); Alvin Atkinson (drums)
A Time For Love
1. Blue Bossa 2. Besame Mucho 3. I Remember Clifford 4. A Time For Love 5. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered 6. Song For My Father 7. Maiden Voyage 8. Dahil Sa Iyo 9. It Might As Well Be Spring
Marcus Printup (trumpet); Riza Printup (harp); Kengo Nakamura (bass)
Ballads All Night
1. Miles Away 2. Emily 3. Memory Box 4. Lullaby for Nanay 5. Love As Is 6. Corcovado 7. The Nearness of You 8. All Night Long
Marcus Printup (trumpet); Chris Crenshaw (trombone); Dan Nimmer (piano); Carlos Henriquez (bass); Quincy Davis (drums); Riza Hequibal (harp)*
1. Recorda-Me 2. London Lullaby 3. Una Mujer Elegante 4. Blue In Green 5. Eighty-One 6. Tears Inside 7. Chelsea Bridge 8. A Shade Of Jade 9. Dindi
Marcus Printup (trumpet); Ted Nash (tenor sax); Eric Reed (piano); Barak Mori (bass); Willie Jones III (drums)
Bird of Paradise
1. Stupendous 2. Now's the Time 3. Lover Man [Take 2] 4. Bird of Paradise 5. Donna Lee 6. Parker's Mood 7. Hymn 8. Quasimodo 9. Lover Man [Take 1] 10. Confirmation 11. Bird Feathers
Marcus Printup (trumpet); Ted Nash (alto sax, tenor sax); Kengo Nakamura (bass); Shinnosuke Takahashi (drums); Riza Hequibal (harp)*
Peace in the Abstract
1. Your Time Has Come; 2. Soul Vamp; 3. I Will Sing of You; 4. Deddy's Blues; 5. Hot House; 6. Amazing Grace; 7. Peace in the Abstract; 8. Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye; 9. Soul Mama
Marc Cary (piano); Kengo Nakamura (bass); Marcus Printup (trumpet); Gergory Tardy (tenor saxophone); Shinnosuke Takahashi (drums)
The New Boogaloo
1. the bullet train;2. sardinian princess; 3. the weeping prince (for malcolm x); 4. the new boogaloo; 5. soul waltz; 6. in a sentimental mood ; 7. printupian prance; 8. the inception; 9. speak low
1. Woody's Beat; 2. Have You Met Miss Jones?; 3. Schertzing Along; 4. Body & Soul; 5. Black Coffee; 6. Peer Pressure; 7. Nocturnal Traces; 8. Ain't Misbehavin'; 9. How Do You Keep The Music Playing?; 10. Freddie's Inferno
Marcus Printup: Trumpet; Kevin Bales: Piano, Ricky Ravelo: Bass; Woody Williams: Drums.
Hubsongs: The sounds of Freddie Hubbard
Tim Hagans & Marcus Printup
1. Backlash; 2. Happy Times; 3. Hub Cap; 4. Lament For Booker; 5. On The Que-Tee; 6. Crisis ; 7. Byrd Like; 8. Thermo; 9. Up Jumped Spring; 10. Life Flight
1. Eclipse; 2. When Forever Is Over; 3. Dig Listen; 4. Say It Again; 5. Leave Your Name And Number; 6. Unveiled; 7. Stablemates; 8. Soulful; 9. M & M; 10. Yes Or No; 11. Amazing Grace
Song for a Beautiful Woman
1. The Inquiry; 2. I Remember April; 3. Song For The Beautiful Woman; 4. Trauma; 5. Pesentation; 6. Lonely Heart; 7. Minor Ordeal; 8. Speak Low; 9. Dahomey Dance;
Disclaimer: All About Jazz is not responsible for the accuracy of the discographical data at the website(s) provided. If a link is no longer valid, please contact email@example.com. Thank you.
New York, NY
Willing to teach:
Advanced students only.