Primary Instrument: Guitar
About Peter Hata:
• BA, Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
• MM, California State University, Los Angeles, CA
• Played professionally with Hiroshima 10 years (incl. Grammy nomination, 1981)
• Teaching jazz improvisation and guitar for 15 years
• Adjunct Professor of Music at California State University, Los Angeles
• Studied jazz improvisation with:
-guitarist Jack Wilkins at the 2003 Stanford Jazz Residency and in New York City, 2004.
-guitarist Tom Hynes, 2004- 2006
-saxophonist Dr. Jeff Benedict, at Cal State University, Los Angeles, 2005-2006
-percussionist Dr. Jon Nathan at Cal State University Los Angeles, 2005-2006.
-saxophonist Kim Richmond and pianist Dr. Rick Helzer at 2006 Fresno State Summer Arts
“Peter Hata is a great guitarist whose playing reveals a real depth when it comes to melodic improvisation.” -Larry Koonse
“Peter’s bop playing is just killing--great notes, great feel, great execution.” -Tom Hynes
Willing to teach:
BA Occidental College, MM Cal State LA, Adjunct Professor of Music at Cal State LA.
Available for private lessons @$40/hr.
Author of the book, Speaking Jazz: The Natural Way to Jazz Improvisation, of which jazz guitarist and California Institute of the Arts instructor Larry Koonse said, "Speaking Jazz deserves to be at the top of any improviser's method book list."
Hear playing samples at http://www.speakingjazz.com/AboutPKH.html
Any and all aspects of both jazz guitar (hard bop single-note soloing, chord melody, comping) and jazz improvisation (all instruments).