Primary Instrument: Vocalist
Considered one of Canada's great jazz singers and Fusion/World specialist, Medieval music autodidact, songwriter, composer, arranger, Karen Young's vocal range and control and her passion for music have enabled her to attain success in various musical genres. Awarded Artist for Peace in 2003, Karen also received RIDEAU Career Prize the same year - Quebec's venues and events programmers professional association.
Album producer/coproducer, Karen also wrote, composed or arranged her eight CD titles under her label URSH Records since its inception in 1992, among which Canticum Canticorum - a specialized Medieval / Mediterranean / Jazz Fusion CD than sold almost 10,000 to date in Québec only.
Conductor, leader and musical director to most of her live performances since the 1970's, Karen YOUNG likes to learn and perform music in all/most its different genres: Jazz, Latin, Cuban, Mediterraneen, Early Music, and the list grows. What she likes overall is to revisit them to offer her own brilliant fusion, always delivered in the company of the best musicians.
Karen YOUNG also taught Jazz Interpretation at Université de Montréal between 1985-1991 and gave numerous workshops and masterclasses. Her musical education is mainly autodidact, although she was a Canada Royal Conservatory of Music student until 1971, where she completed Piano II and Theory IV.
PRODUCTER, DIRECTOR, COMPOSER AND PRINCIPAL ARRANGER CREDITS ( OR CO ) - URSH RECORDS
2008 - in progress : ElectroBeatniks - Duo YOUNG-AUCLAIR
2007 - Ame, Corps Et Desir
2003 - La Couleur du vent
2002 - Live in your Living Room
2000 - Le Cantique des cantiques
1997 - Nice Work If You Can Get It
1996 - Second Time Around - Karen Young / Michel Donato
1993 - Good News On The Crumbling Walls
1992 - Karen Young - éponyme
COMPOSER AND PRINCIPAL ARRANGER - OTHER LABELS
1981 - Karen Young; 1st solo album ; Radio-Canada International
1971 - 45 "folk" GARDEN OF URSH Co-Composer and Co-Arranger - Justin Times Records inc.
1990 - ENVOL III, Young / Donato Live
1988 - CONTREDANSE, F�LIX Award - Best jazz album and Juno Nominee - Best jazz album
1986 - YOUNG-DONATO, F�LIX nominee - Best jazz album Co-Compositeur et Co-Arrangeur - Autres producteurs
1980 - BUG ALLEY - Best jazz album DOWNBEAT
THEATRE AND FILM MUSIC
2005 - Karen Young's Canticum Canticorum; by Pepita Ferrari for CBC Opening Night
2004 - Joseph's Daughter, a Ilana Shwartz film
2003 - Voix de Femmes, a Sophie Bissonnette film - The Unsexing of Emma Edmonds, Pepita Ferrari
2001 - A Silent Triumph, Pepita Ferrari
1998 - Road from Kampuchea, a Ann Henderson film - Revoir Julie, a film by Jeanne Crepeau
1995 - Celeste and Sliding in All Directions, two plays written by Marianne Ackerman of Theatre 1774
RECORDS AND PARTICIPATION IN OTHER PROJECTS
- Sings to Nebbia, music score by Daniele Finzi Pasca to the Cirque Eloize/Theatro del Sunil co-production
- CD La gravité me pèse, Tu n'as pas le temps; Urbain des Bois; Audiogram
- CD Le mariage anglais; Michel Faubert; La Tribu
- CD New Kong ; Repercussion
- CD Los Angeles ; Luc de La Rocheliere
- CD Unclassified, Melosphere and Moontide; Helmut Lipsky
- CD Confiture de Gagaku and FILM music score Strand, Under the Dark Cloth - Jean Derome
- Atlantide, Michel-Georges Bregent
- Sang An Angel in the film Double tour - music by Richard Desjardins
- Sang I Can't Help Falling in Love with you on the film Love and Human Remains - Denis Arcand
- Sang with Nanette Workman and Linda Niles in the film Night Magic - Lewis Fury and Leonard Cohen
- CD First album of Musique Multi-Montréal
- CD Souverains Anonymes, Radio show and their record, Libre a vous
Disclaimer: All About Jazz is not responsible for the accuracy of the discographical data at the website(s) provided. If a link is no longer valid, please contact email@example.com. Thank you.