Primary Instrument: Piano
A native of Turkey,born in Istanbul, Fahir Atakoğlu is an international award winning composer and pianist, in the fields of large symphonic works and film music. His works have also been performed in various music festivals in Europe and across The United States to much acclaim. He is now finding a growing audience in Europe, Japan and in North America as well. His sensitivity as a composer deeply moves the audience by his unique rhythmic, melodic and harmonic sense. His music reflects his extraordinary talent in blending different musical cultures which make his compositions speak with striking originality, and always wonderfully connected to the culture of his motherland...
For his sixth recording, Turkish born pianist Fahir Atakoglu has gone retro, recalling the '80s contemporary New York City/Seventh Avenue South neo-bop, skunk funk, and fusion of the Brecker Brothers and Steps/Steps Ahead. Playing exclusively acoustic and not electric piano, he also employs the quite different sounding electric guitarists Mike Stern or Wayne Krantz on alternating tracks, adding Michael Brecker disciple Bob Franceschini, electric bass guitar pioneer Anthony Jackson, and the dynamic drummer Horacio El Negro Hernandez. Atakoglu attains the sound he seeks quite easily, a bit derivative, but exciting and refreshingly done some 25 years after the fact. Of course the twist is the folkloric Turkish nuances, rhythm and elements he incorporates, and that he has added on from his 2005 breakthrough CD If, which concentrated on his trio with Jackson and Hernandez. The result is more jaw dropping music from this most awesome, brilliant, death-defying pianist who deserves a ton of wider recognition and admiration. On the more electrified side, urged on by Stern's characteristic high-pitched guitar, Fuse On kicks off the CD with an unmistakable Brecker/Steps Big Apple Broadway swagger and strut, while a staggered choppy staccato accent identifies, but does not update Sync-Op. In the pocket American style, the hip and contemporary Aheste has Stern at his most resonant, a ringing endorsement of Atakoglu's attempt to drag this music into the now. Krantz is a more subdued, but still substantial player, and he stokes a distinct Turkish fire with embers instead of flames as on the 7/8 beat of Black Sea a heavy Mid-Eastern dialect paced by Atakoglu's cascading piano lines, and on the dervish like 10/8 measures of Trapped with an industrial guitar woven through the pianists probing inventions. Combining the different influences, the outstanding ESS is a minimalist tune fronted by Franceschini's lurid tenor lines, a more balanced timbre between all the instruments, and an out and out rock and roll bridge. It cannot be overemphasized that Jackson and Hernandez together are killin', and are about as unstoppable a tandem as there can be going in modern jazz or fusion musics -- period! If you go back to the first recordings of Steps when Michael Brecker was with them, the similarities are quite clear, but they didn't have a pianist as formidable as Atakoglu. There's a lot to enjoy on this recording from a contemporary and historical standpoint, and as listeners should definitely own a copy of If, this one shows a willingness to expand, employ different styles, and bodes well for Atakoglu's next adventurous excursion.
- FACES & PLACES: featuring Rogerio Boccato, Randy Brecker, Wayne Krantz, Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez, Romero Lubambo, Bob Mintzer, John Patitucci, Rene Toledo - FAR&HERE LLC-2009
- UCLEME-TRIO: 3 CD album - FAR&HERE LLC-2009
- IZ: the 25th Anniversary - FAR&HERE LLC-2008
- ISTANBUL IN BLUE: Fahir Atakolu, Horacio El Negro Hernandez, Anthony Jackson, Mike Stern, Wayne Krantz, Bob Franceschini - FAR&HERE LLC-2008
- EAST SIDE STORY: Fahir Atakoglu demonstrates his virtuosity with the music he composed for the Istanbul National Ballet's East Side Story, a DanceTheather created by Aysun Aslan - FAR&HERE LLC-2007
- BEYZANIN KADINLARI: Movie - Original Music/Score - March 2006
- LA LUNA / AS ONE: Fahir Atakolu - FAR&HERE LLC-2005
- IF: Fahir Atakolu / Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez / Anthony Jackson - FAR&HERE LLC-2005
- LIVE IN ISTANBUL 2: Symphonic Concert - Re-released as Live In Istanbul - FAR&HERE LLC- IMAJ Nov 2004
- MINIATURK: FAR&HERE LLC-2003
- AS ONE: Universal Music Turkey, 2002
- Dar Alanda Ksa Paslasmalar: OFF-SITE Movie - Original Music/Score - January, 2001 - distributed by BMG
- FAHR ATAKOLU "First Of All"- Fahir's Music Distributed to 17 Countries By KOCH International - April 2000
- FAHR ATAKOLU 75.Yil Konserleri Concert for the 75th anniversary of Turkish Republic
- LIVE IN ISTANBUL FAHR ATAKOLU Symphonic Concert (Live at Istanbul Open Air -IMAJ Co-Production
- YARINA DRT ISIK (Four Lights For Tomorrow) Yarina Dort Isik (Four Lights For Tomorrow) - December,1996
- FAHIR ATAKOGLU 2-Tempa Foneks
- FAHIR ATAKOGLU 1 Tempa Foneks
Disclaimer: All About Jazz is not responsible for the accuracy of the discographical data at the website(s) provided. If a link is no longer valid, please contact email@example.com. Thank you.