Born: March 19, 1955 Primary Instrument: Drums
For the past 20 years , musician, teacher and activist Bruno Tocanne has been a catalyst for improvised music, bringing together some of the most creative musicians on the French and International scenes. Bruno's travels around the globe have resulted in musical encounters with Dave BURELL (USA) Steve POTTS (USA), Yuri KUSNETSOV (Ukraine), Vladimir VOLKOV (Russia), Russ JOHNSON (USA), Jean VANASSE (Canada),Quinsin NACHOFF (Canada), Itaru OKI (Japan), Tom WALSH (Canada), Michael BATES (USA), Louis SCLAVIS(France)...
Born in Paris in 1955, he began his studies in drums with the drummer Jean Louis Méchali,jazz an improvisation in the Manuel Villaroel and Steve Lacy workshops
Current Projects (2013/2014)
. Bruno Tocanne In a suggestive way / Dedicated to Paul Motian
. I.overdrive trio and Marcel Kanche Et vint un mec d'outre saison / Tribute to Léo Ferré
. Libre Ensemble : Fred Roudet, Philippe Gordiani, Fred Meyer, Rémi Gaudillat, Benoît Keller, Damien Sabatier
. I.Overdrive Trio / A tribute to Syd Barrett
. Mad Kluster : Alain Blesing, Bruno Tocanne, Fred Roudet, Benoît Keller
. imuZZic network collective
80s / Numerous pop-rock groups. Among them, Dider Thibaut’ “Moving“, then played regularly with jazz musicians like Laurent Cugny, Serge Lazarevitch, Jean Phillipe Viret, Michel Bénita, Serge Adam, Michel Saulnier...
Toured Europe and Canada with “L’Orchestre Sympathique de Montréal” (Jean Vanasse, Michel Saulnier, François Richard)
90s / Toured and recorded Hors Serie with Sophia Domancich, Phillipe Sellam and Michel Saulnier, then with the Sophia Domancich Trio with Paul Rogers, featuring John Greaves...
- Bruno Tocanne Reunion which brought together Laurent Dehor, Malo Vallois, Daniel Casimir, Patrick Fradet...
- Co-founded “Polysons“ collective with Jean-Remy Guédon and Serge Adam and then played w/ Antoine Hervé, Renaud Garcia- Fons...
2000s / - Residency at Agapes - Lyon with Catherine Delaunay, they host guest artists like Louis Sclavis, Denis Badault, Alain Blesing, Regis Huby, Emmanuel Bex, Lucia Recio, Serge Lazarevitch...
- Recorded in duet with Catherine Delaunay and began a series of concerts that insclued tours in Japan, Ukraine, Poland and Canada.
- Founded the imuZZic network collective in 2000 : actually w/ Lionel Martin, Benoit Keller and Rémi Gaudillat, who host guest artists like Louis Sclavis, Russ Johnson, Sophia Domancich, Xavier Garcia, Fred Roudet, Michael Bates, Samuel Blaser...
- Formed Trio Resistances with Lionel Martin and Benoit Keller. 3 albums, the two laters signed to Cristal Records.
- Toured with pianist Dave Burell (USA) and Catherine Delaunay in Japan.
- Performed in Montréal with Quinsin Nachoff, Tom Walsh and Richard Savoie and w/ quebec poet José Aquelin
- Toured with Jean Vannasse and Jean-Phillipe Viret 4tet and 5tet in France and in Montréal.
- Other 2000's performances Trios with - Jean Méreu and Guy Villerd (ARFI) - Francesco Bearzatti (Italy) - Enzo Rocco (guit - Italy) and bassist Fréderic Monino - Yuri Kustnetsov (piano - Ukrainia)
Quintet with Quinsin Nachoff and Russ Johnson (tpt - usa) Quartet with - Hasse Poulsen (guit - Danemark) - Michael Bates (bass usa) and Samuel Blaser (tbn - usa)...
Tours and Concert venues : - Paris : New Morning, Instant Chavirés, Duc des Lombards, Sunset, Sunside, Baiser Salé, Maison de Radio-France, Le Triton... // - International tours : ex-Yougoslavia, Poland, Japan, Canada, Germany, Greece, Switzerland... // - International festivals : Nis, Zagreb, Lubjana, Athens, Liverpool, Belgrade, Ioannina, Montreal, Odessa, Iasi, Grenoble,Couches, Brest, Nimes, Montpellier, Paris, Rive de Gier, Montbrison, Belle Ile, Auxerre, Couches, Querbes, Jena...
A munificent, subtle and lavish drummer ! Jazz Magazine 2008 For all those who doubt the benefits of freedom in music, Bruno Tocanne sends a musical message full of rich nuances... Drums Magazine “Bruno Tocanne is to his drums and cymbals what a japanese calligrpaher is to his art....” Liberation “A catalyst of ideas and emotions, developing ideas on the drumkit through generosity” France Musique The unbridled power of Tocanne’s drumming manages... Whole Note 2009
Disclaimer: All About Jazz is not responsible for the accuracy of the discographical data at the website(s) provided. If a link is no longer valid, please contact email@example.com. Thank you.
Montmelas Saint Sorlin
Willing to teach:
Advanced students only.