Born: July 2, 1947 Primary Instrument: Sax, tenor
One need only witness a Reggie Houston performance to understand why his talent has been courted by legends like Fats Domino, Peter Gabriel, Dr. John and The Neville Brothers.
More than a master vocalist and saxophone player, Reggie Houston is an entertainer of the highest order. He has the charm and charisma of a modern day Louis Armstrong mingled with the pure and irresistible joy of a child. Freed up by a wireless microphone, laughing and waving his white handkerchief, he'll shimmy off the bandstand with his saxophone and get down with the audience... and sometimes even bring them back on stage with him! And when Reggie Houston lays down the funk, he lays it down on black satin sheets and makes it blush!
- 2006 - "The Katrina Sessions" by Matthew Voth, with guest musician Reggie Houston
- 2004 - "Doctors, Professors, Kings & Queens: Big Ol' Box of New Orleans" Shout! Factory's mamouth 4 disc collection that covers the full range of Crescent City music, from R&B to jazz, zydeco and funk.
- 2003 - "Hit" by Peter Gabriel, Reggie plays on disc 2 track 10 "Lovetown" and disc 1 track 13 "Steam" which first appeared on Gabriel's 1992 Release "US" (see below for info).
- 2003 - "Louisiana Night" by Jimmy "Bean" Ballero, with guest musician Reggie Houston
- 2003 - "Makin' Groceries" by Reggie Houston and Friends
- 2001 - "Fats Domino Live! (Shout)" Recorded live in 2001 at The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
- 2001 - "Guthro" by Bruce Guthro
- 2001 - "sisters on the Riverbed" by Nanaco
- 2000 - "Urgin' For The Virgin" by Reggie Houston's Earth Island Band
- 2000 - "Mardi Gras Mambo" by Cubanismo
- 2000 - "As Long as You're Living Yours: The Music of Keith Jarrett"
1999 - "Wordless Praise The Gospel Saxophone of Reggie Houston"
with Ezekiel Williams on organ & piano, Damian Brown on piano, organ & synthesizer, Cornell Williams on bass, and Jeffrey Alexander drums. Produced by Mark Bingham
- 1999 - "Come On Now Social" by The Indigo Girls. Reggie appears on track 6 "Peace Tonight" along with guest vocalist Joan Osborne
- 1999 - "Dew Drop Out" by The Yockamo All-Stars
- 1999 - "Little Red Wagon" by Ramsey & Vaan, Reggie appears as a guest musician on track 1 "The Lady I Hated to Lose"
- 1997 - "The Best of Austin City Limits: Legends of Country Music"
- 1996 - "Up Up Up" by The Charmaine Neville Band
- 1996 - "StarGeezer" by Spider John Koerner
- 1996 - "There's Room For Us All" by Terrance Simien (Reggie is mistakenly credited as "Reggie Dallas" on this album-- something about an in-studio joke gone awry...)
- 1994 - "Gazebo Sessions" by The Reggie Houston-Amasa Miller Trio
- 1992 - "It's About Time" by The Charmaine Neville Band
- 1992 - "Us" by Peter Gabriel, Reggie plays on track 6 "Washing of the Water" and grammy nominated track 4 "Steam" which topped Billboard's Album Rock Tracks chart for 5 weeks.
- 1992 - "Coincidence and Likely Stories" by Buffy Sainte-Marie
- 1990 - "Brother's Keeper" by The Neville Brothers
- 1988 - "Creole Nightingale" by Tim Williams
- 1988 - "Ed Frank Quintet/Ramsey McLean & The Survivors - New New Orleans Music: Jump Jazz"
- 1988 - "Before The Feeling is Gone" by Nora Wixted
- 1986 - "Fats Domino: His Greatest Hits" Recorded live at the Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles on August 22, 1985
Disclaimer: All About Jazz is not responsible for the accuracy of the discographical data at the website(s) provided. If a link is no longer valid, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Willing to teach:
Advanced students only.
Most people call them workshops, but with Reggie Houston at the helm, they're just to much fun to call work!
World of Rhythm Playshop
Join Reggie as he takes you on a fascinating journey through history to explore the rhythms underlying blues, jazz, and funk. Combining his love and knowledge of history and music with a remarkable gift for storytelling, Reggie uses performance, demonstration and hands-on teaching to trace musical origins from Africa through the slave routes all the way along its evolution to modern New Orleans styles.
Wordless Praise Playshop
Wordless Praise is a multi-media Gospel INformance, that uses music, songs, dance and comedy to chronicle the development, movement and circumstances of the people who made the music we enjoy today.