Born: May 21, 1960 Primary Instrument: Guitar
After 20 years of gradually building his rep as a reliable and versatile sideman on the Orange County, California circuit, guitarist Matthew Von Doran is finally stepping out as a leader in his own right with In This Present Moment. Produced by Jimmy Haslip, bassist with the internationally renowned Yellowjackets, this debut outing from Von Doran finds the guitarist surrounded by a cast of jazz heavyweights including saxophonists Bob Mintzer and Bob Sheppard, drummers Peter Erskine, Terri Lyne Carrington, Gary Novak and Marcus Baylor, B-3 organist Larry Goldings, bassists James Genus and Haslip himself. An impressive showcase that highlights Von Doran's warm, inviting tone and accomplished six-string work in a variety of settings, In This Present Moment is a fitting introduction to this new face on the post-Metheny/post- Scofield guitar landscape....
Awards:2005 Orange County Music Awards- Best instrumental
• Von Doran's debut announces the arrival of a singular voice on electric and acoustic guitars. Everything about this recording works. - Ejazz News
• 5 Stars! Guitarist Matthew Von Doran combines outstanding composition, state-of-the-art sound, and a world-class lineup to create one of the finest jazz albums in recent memory. - Modern Drummer Magazine
• 4 Stars!!! Von Doran is an artist with vision and an emerging style that makes him someone to watch. He is clearly his own man; there is no sense of compromise on a recording that is completely engaging, with plenty of melodic hooks, solid grooves and fine playing. -All About Jazz
• Von Doran shines throughout this well played showcase...the majors screwed up by letting this be an indie release. - Midwest Record Recap
• Von Doran’s playing is truly inventive and versatile. This album is well worth a listen for any modern jazz fan. - Bass Guitar Magazine
• His lyrical guitars make Von Doran's debut sizzle with excitement and seethe with an alluring charm. - L.A. Jazz Scene
• It's nice that a new guitarist who's been around can make a great record, and instill it with his own signature. His playing and compositional skills really come to the forefront on this one. This record should get his name out. And deservedly so. - Vintage Guitar Magazine
Newport Beach, CA
Willing to teach:
Beginning, intermediate & advanced students in the Los Angeles & Saint Louis area please call 949-642-3785 for more info or visit http://www.privatelessons.com/daypoint/media/editsnapshot.asp? mode=view&showmail=true&userid=5685
Clinic Topics In addition to fundamental jazz subject matter... - Real world musicianship skills - Creating a goal oriented practice agenda - time management techniques - the whole-music experience: mind, body, & spirit - improving focus & concentration - guitar master classes - finding the essence of improvisational concepts. - DIY music business & promotion: the new model for the jazz career - performance concepts: using charts from his critically acclaimed CD, In this Present Moment, Matthew takes the jazz ensemble through the steps of discerning new music.