Born: January 20 Primary Instrument: Vocalist
Cuban vocalist Estrella Acosta, who now lives in Europe, has proven herself on various continents as one of the most versatile singers in Latin music. Though she has never stopped singing the folk songs of her motherland, she is equally at home with Brazilian and jazz styles. With her relaxed phrasing and warm, earthy voice she brings a fresh, innovative approach to her music.
After graduating from the University of Texas at Austin in cultural anthropology, she studied voice technique and started her first band playing a blend of jazz, Brazilian and Cuban music. She lived in Mexico City, New York, and Rio de Janeiro and finally settled in Amsterdam, where she now lives. Estrella has performed with many of the world's great musicians including Toninho Horta, Craig Handy, Edy Martinez, Mauricio Einhorn, Claudio Roditi, Ramon Valle and Jovino Santos Neto. ...
- “...a happy transatlantic party that takes off and soars!” - Latin Beat Magazine, USA, Luis Tamargo
- Exciting hours with Estrella Acosta ... her group was captivating and exciting ... she has a straightsounding voice but with all the warmth and emotionality one could wish for... - Leeuwarder Courant
Acosta has a warm voice and a sunny and relaxed stage presence. She masters the vocal aspects of both latin- and jazz music. - JazzPodium.nl
- Shining as the center of the group is Cuban singer Estrella ... with her vocal technique she can do a lot ... exciting tropical sounds raised the temperature to unheardof levels ... The power of the group lays not only in the exciting rhythms; the solo contributions are of a very, high class... - Ton Ouwehand, Dagblad Tubantia, Enschede
- ... excellent music that is fun to listen and dance to, where the traditional and the contemporary are very well combined and balanced. Congratulations! -Juanito Marquez: composer /arranger for Omara Portuondo & Gloria Estefan
- Swinging fireworks, because of the extroverted, inspiring playing ... her voice is full and has a lot of sparkle... - De Gelderlander, Arnhem
- ...Music that is hard to resist ... the band is a coherent unit, mending the components of their music into an effervescent whole ... Estrella is at her best when passion gets the upper hand. - Haagsche Courant, the Hague, Astrid de Ruiter