In 1997, saxophonist Jay Beckenstein and his band Spyro Gyra celebrated twenty years of recording with their 20th album, 20/20. Though the band actually began in Buffalo, New York in 1975, 1977 marked the release of their first self-titled album, featuring the (instant) instrumental smash, Shaker Song. In 1997, to commemorate all those years of music and touring, Spyro Gyra did what they always do; hit the road for a spring to fall tour. Only this time, they recorded the proceedings every night.
The result is Road Scholars, the second live concert album of Spyro Gyra's career (the first was the double LP Access All Areas from 1984). Unlike Access, which was recorded over three nights in Florida, the new album was culled from over sixty performances throughout the year from all over the USA, plus one new studio recording titled Best Friends, recorded at Jay Beckenstein's BearTracks Studio in Suffern, NY....
- The Rhinebeck Sessions by Glenn Astarita
- Down the Wire by Woodrow Wilkins
- A Night Before Christmas by Jeff Winbush
- A Night Before Christmas by Woodrow Wilkins
- Good to Go-Go by Woodrow Wilkins
- Wrapped in a Dream by Woodrow Wilkins
- Modern Times by Dave Hughes