Active since: 1972
Steely Dan has been more of a conceptual framework for inventive music-making than a typical rock band. Spearheaded by a pair of resourceful musical auteurs Donald Fagen and Walter Becker - they have done nothing by the books since launching Steely Dan in 1972. The band’s very name is a scatological reference from a novel by Beat Generation anti-hero William Burroughs. Though Steely Dan recorded prolifically for much of the Seventies, they toured for only a brief spell early in that decade, deciding they much preferred the studio to the road. This allowed them to craft a wry, nuanced and hyper-literate series of albums - seven in all, released from 1972 to 1980 - that are highly regarded by connoisseurs of pop hooks, jazz harmony and desiccating wit....
- Steely Dan at Jacobs Pavilion
- Steely Dan Plays Aja in Akron, OH
- Steely Dan at Wells Fargo Theater in Denver
- Reeling In the Years: Steely Dan at Mud Island, Memphis, Tennessee
- 2009 Montreux Jazz Festival : Chickenfoot, Dave Matthews Band, Steely Dan
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz by John Kelman