Born: August 21, 1954
Steve Smith was originally drawn to the drums by hearing marching bands in parades as a child in his native Massachusetts. At age nine, in 1963, Smith began studying the instrument in earnest with local Boston area teacher Bill Flanagan, who played in big bands in the swing era.
Smith performed in the usual school band program and garage bands while in his teens, but also began to broaden his performing experience by playing in a professional Brockton concert band and even the big band at the local college, Bridgewater State. After high school, Smith began studying music at the famed Berklee College of Music in Boston in 1972. There he received valuable instruction from such renowned teachers as Gary Chaffee and Alan Dawson....
- Steve Smith's Jazz Legacy at Cecil's in West Orange, NJ
- Steve Smith's Jazz Legacy at the Bach, Half Moon Bay, CA
- Steve Smith's Vital Information Performs at the Bach, Half Moon Bay, CA
- Vitalization by John Kelman
- Reimagined, Vol. 1: Jazz Standards by Jack Bowers
- Very Live at Ronnie Scott's by Dan McClenaghan
- Show 'Em Where You Live by Glenn Astarita