Born: April 1
The composer singer and flutist Tamara Obrovac, is one of the most impressive artists on the Croatian music scene, she is one of those musicians to whom jazz means a path to understanding music as a whole. Moreover, it has ushered her towards an intensive investigation of her own regional music awareness, so she offers us a new musical journey through the Istrian and Mediterranean spaces and times. Istria is here homeland, beautiful Croatian region, a North Adriatic peninsula, particular for It's musical and dialectal tradition, which is the creative force of her works. She writes lyrics in a local dialect and sings in an ancient dialect which is not spoken any more - the Istriotic dialect.
In addition to here international concert activities, (numerous festivals, clubs, venues, all over the world) and many collaborations, she composes music for theater and film, and for here work she received many awards.
Her international Transhistria Ensemble incorporates elements of Istrian and Mediterranean national music, jazz, and many elements of modern music, and her music, completely original and autochthonous, goes beyond time and geographical boundaries, thus becoming a universal artistic message, establishing Tamara Obrovac as an exceptional artist who managed to create her own unique musical expression. This creative musician has become known for her highly aesthetic performances, her interpretations are suffused with spontaneity, inventive improvisation, freedom, humour and the ability to communicate with the audience, an artist of a strong persona, a life and artistic force able to enchant any audience...
As she said: jazz is my freedom, and my roots are my inner truth...
She published 7 Author CDs: Triade, 1996; Ulika, 1998; Transhistria, 2001; Sve pasiva/Everything fades away, 2003; Daleko je/Is faraway, 2005; Neću više jazz kantati/I won’t sing jazz any more, 2009, featuring her new band “Transhistria electric” with a fresh fusion of Istrian ethno and funky and soul music; and the latest Madirosa, 2011, in collaboration with the Epoque String Quartet. Through her albums, Tamara profiles her own auctorial approach and creates a unique artistic form which, inspired by the Istrian and broader Mediterranean tradition, establishes “the personal poetics of the author”....
- professional jurry award for best score for short film "Contrada"director Matija Debeljuh, Croatian film days 2013.
- Porin(Croatian national music award) 2004:best world music album
- zlatna koogla award: best croatian female artist 2003
- Nominated for BBC Radio 3 Awards for World Music 2004 (European music and audience award categories)
- Award for best music in a theatrical work for "Antigona" @ Marulovi dani, Split 2005
- Porin 2006: best world music album
- Porin 2006: best female vocal performance
- Porin 2006: best vocal collaboration(with Tedi Spalato)
- Golden Arena award(croatian national film festival): best score for Hrvoje Hribars film “Sto je muskarac bez brkova(what is a man without a mustache?)”
- best music in a theatrical work for the play "Zagrljenici",National theatrical festival Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2007
- best music in a theatrical work for the play "Zagrljenici",6th festival of Bosnian and Herzegovinian drama, Zenica 2007
- Porin 2008 for best female vocal performance of 2008
- Award for best drama for its music at the festival Regoč Croatian drama for children 2008
- President of the Republic of Croatia awarded the Order medal Danica Croatia
- “Mali Marulić”, CROATIAN CHILDREN’S DRAMA FESTIVAL, 2009., Award for the music in the theatre show “Regoč” by Ivana Brlić Mažuranić, performed by Zadar Puppet Theatre.
- RUNJIĆ’S EVENINGS , 2009., Golden Seagull Award for the best remake of Runjić’s song “A vitar puše” was given to Tamara Obrovac and Matija Dedić
- 42nd "PIF" INTERNATIONAL PUPPET THEATRE FESTIVAL, 2009. The International Professional Jury Award for the music in the theatre show “SVAROŽIĆ”, performed by the Zagreb Puppet Theatre (Zagreb, Croatia)
Ulika RevivalUnit Records
Neću Više Jazz Kantati / I Won't Sing Jazz Any MorePeartree Records
Anđele MojPeartree Records
Črni MalinPeartree Records
Promo CDPeartree Records
This information is provided by discogs.com or the profile administrator.