Ted Sirota was born May 3, 1969 in Champaign, IL and grew up in South Suburban Chicago, in Flossmoor, IL. Ted began playing drums and percussion in 1980 at the age of 10. By age 15, after hearing the great Max Roach perform at The Jazz Showcase, Sirota decided (against all warnings!) to pursue a career in music. In high school Ted developed a love for both Reggae music and Jazz, and was inspired to play his instrument by drummers like Max Roach, Philly Joe Jones, Elvin Jones, Sly Dunbar, Carlton Barrett, and Style Scott.
After graduating from High School, Sirota left Chicago for Boston to attend Berklee College of Music in the fall of 1987. Shortly after arriving in Boston, Sirota began studying with the legendary Jazz drummer/teacher Alan Dawson at his home in Lexington, MA. Dawson’s methods and guidance had a profound and lasting impact on Sirota’s drumming style. Ted’s tenure at Berklee was a crucial period in his development as a young musician.
Take Five With...
Read more articles
April 13, 2013
The Scientist Meets Ted Sirota's Heavyweight Dub Kickstarter Project...
April 29, 2011
Ted Sirota's Rebel Souls vs. the Forces of Evil **** (Naim, 2011)
January 26, 2010
Announcing the Winners of the "Ted Sirota - Seize the Time" Giveaway!
December 18, 2009
Enter the Naim Records "Ted Sirota - Seize the Time" CD Giveaway...
December 18, 2009
The Jazz Session #124: Ted Sirota
September 10, 2004
Ted Sirota's Rebel Souls Make Rare Philadelphia Appearance Tonight
April 12, 2004
AAJ Interviews Ted Sirota, Toots Thielemans, John O'Gallagher and more...
Sirota is one of the most highly regarded youngish drummers in Chicago, a crisp and lively player with a keen sense of dynamics. —John Corbett, The Reader
Willing to teach
Intermediate to advanced students
- Ted is a graduate of Berklee College of Music in Boston with a Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts/Music Performance.
- Ted is a well-respected drummer with 20 years of professional playing experience
- Ted's experience with his own children has made him especially patient and understanding with other children... and adults!
- Ted is well versed in many styles of music, having worked professionally in the following idioms: Rock, Jazz, Blues, Hip-Hop, R&B, Funk, House, Reggae, Soca, Calypso, Brazilian, Salsa, Country, and more. Ted also has vast experience with studio session and musical theater work, as well as drum programming and music production.
- Ted knows what it takes to be a successful drummer and is effective in passing this knowledge to others in a fun and enlightening manner.