Born: May 3, 1969
Ted Sirota was born May 3, 1969 in Champaign, IL and grew up in South Suburban Chicago, in Flossmoor, IL. Ted began playing drums and percussion in 1980 at the age of 10. By age 15, after hearing the great Max Roach perform at The Jazz Showcase, Sirota decided (against all warnings!) to pursue a career in music. In high school Ted developed a love for both Reggae music and Jazz, and was inspired to play his instrument by drummers like Max Roach, Philly Joe Jones, Elvin Jones, Sly Dunbar, Carlton Barrett, and Style Scott.
After graduating from High School, Sirota left Chicago for Boston to attend Berklee College of Music in the fall of 1987. Shortly after arriving in Boston, Sirota began studying with the legendary Jazz drummer/teacher Alan Dawson at his home in Lexington, MA. Dawson’s methods and guidance had a profound and lasting impact on Sirota’s drumming style. Ted’s tenure at Berklee was a crucial period in his development as a young musician....
Heavyweight DubLiberated Zone Records
Seize The TimeNaim Label
Breeding ResistanceDelmark Records
This information is provided by discogs.com or the profile administrator.
Willing to teach:
Intermediate to advanced students
- Ted is a graduate of Berklee College of Music in Boston with a Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts/Music Performance.
- Ted is a well-respected drummer with 20 years of professional playing experience
- Ted's experience with his own children has made him especially patient and understanding with other children... and adults!
- Ted is well versed in many styles of music, having worked professionally in the following idioms: Rock, Jazz, Blues, Hip-Hop, R&B, Funk, House, Reggae, Soca, Calypso, Brazilian, Salsa, Country, and more. Ted also has vast experience with studio session and musical theater work, as well as drum programming and music production.
- Ted knows what it takes to be a successful drummer and is effective in passing this knowledge to others in a fun and enlightening manner.