Andreas Willers has gained a reputation as an exceptional guitar player with an incredibly rich stylistic background reaching from blues and jazz to improvised and New Music. The impressive technical and tonal options at his disposal are carried by a great feeling for form and tremenuos emotional power. His debut release was a solo recording for the famous FMP label in the 1980's. He has worked with Paul Bley, Louis Sclavis, David Murray a.m.m. on stage and in the studio. He also works on different forms of improvised and composed music.
Studied guitar and improvisation with Joe Diorio (at GIT, Los Angeles), John Abercrombie and Dave Holland (at Bannf School of Fine Arts, Alberta, Canada) among others. Studied composition in Hamburg. Tought jazz guitar at HfM Hanns Eisler in Berlin from 1991-96, writes workshop articles. Freelances as jazz- and improvising guitarist and as composer. Wrote for the Jazz Baltica Ensemble, NDR Radio Bigband, different New Music ensembles, the Andreas Willers Octet and other groups. Continues to perform solo and in various groups. About 50 releases as a leader, sideman or in cooperative groups for various European labels including Leo, Enja, Jazzwerkstatt, between the lines, JazzHausMusik, Sound Aspects, FMP a.m.m.
- 'Andreas Willers is one the most imaginative electric guitarists on the planet.' Jazzthetik
- ‚‘....alomst made me cry. Willers is an incredibly inventive guitarist.‘ Budd
- ‚Willers really is a stupor mundi guitarist‘ Bad Alchemy
- '....combines contrasting techniques, worlds of tones and traditions into a
singular, easy-to-identify sound.' the RoRoRo Jazz Lexicon
- 'The German guitar player A.W. is certainly one of the most interesting
voices in Europe.‘ AAJ.it
- 'Just when you think that everything has been said a new album by Andreas
Willers comes along, a daring tour de force, where all the downsides of the
avantgarde - boredom, disorder, redundance - are brilliantely avoided.' five
stars ***** / JAZZTHETIK
- 'EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE