Eddie Condon was on of the young 'White' Chicagoans who, during the 1920s, were instrumental in creating a new, hard driving type of Chicago Dixieland Jazz. His career started at just age 17 when he played Banjo (his original instrument) with the 'Hollis Peavey Jazz bandits', and he even played briefly with some members of the now fabled Austin High School Gang.
In 1927 he co-led the McKenzie-Condon Chicagoans on a record that was popular in Chicago. In 1929, after organizing some other recording sessions, Condon switched cities and instruments. He moved to New York, and began playing the guitar. In New York, he worked with Red McKenzie's Mound City Blue Blowers and with Red Nichol's and His Five Pennies. He appeared on one record (1929) with Louis Armstrong and His Savoy Ballroom 5.
In New York (ca. 1930), fellow Chicagoan Joe Marsala had a band that played at John Popkin's Hickory House on 52nd Street in New York for nearly ten years. Condon became Marsala's guitar player, and, between sets, spent a good deal of time at the bar. Between 1937 and 1944, he worked nightly at a famous New York Jazz club, Nick's, in New York 's Greenwich Village section. It may be said that Condon's big break came in 1938 when he led a group on some recording sessions for Milt Gabler's Commodore Label. These recording made Eddie a New York icon.
From 1944 to 1945, Condon was involved in a series of weekly broadcasts (and recordings) from New York's Town Hall . In 1945, Condon and Pete Pesci - manager of Julius's Bar - came up with a plan to open a jointly owned Club and this became the first Eddie Condon's (on West 3rd Street - Greenwich Village area). Eddie had excellent qualifications for a nightclub operator, - he was a sociable man who could hold his liquor, and was a very fine musician with many musician friends who could come in and help out.