Born in Colon, Panama attended the Panama Conservatory of Music and the University of Panama. He received a Bachelor of Science in Music from the State University of New York College at New Paltz in 1981. A unique innovator in the idiom of creative music, Sylvester sound is reminiscent of another time in jazz history when artists like Dolphy and Ornette were exploding on the scene and experimenting with concepts that would ultimately revolutionize music at large. A throwback to the future, Mr. Sylvester has been on the cutting edge of that scene since 1980 when he first came to New York City. His blend of African-Caribbean Rhythms with new music is what gives Sylvester his distinguished voice. An impressive composer and arranger,his music moves, entices and stirs the imagination, as visual as it is physical, his ability to transform colors into sounds and sounds into textures place him in the company of the great expressionist painters.
Read more articles
“...Jorge Sylvester's distinctive alto saxophone sound is imbued with the volatility of Caribbean basin's complex mosaic, transformed and focused by the probing musical linguistics pioneered by the great saxophonists of modern jazz. Jorge's composer's imagination is the matchless structural coherence of his improvisational work.”
Ramsey Ameen, 12/2005
“...If Ornette Coleman had be born and reared in Nassau, his music would have sounded like this.” C. Michael Bailey, All About Jazz
“ Sylvester's alto work is deeply rooted in bebop but fluent in the most modern of horn vocabularies
Brooklyn, NY 11216-3306
Willing to teach
Advanced students only.
TEACHING QUALIFICATIONS :
* Over 20 years experience - Saxophone, Jazz improvisation, Music Theory,
and Composition, and Sound Work.
* Private classes and Workshops - Advance students and Beginners.
* Experimenting with Caribbean Rhythms and Free Music Art Forms.
* State University of New York College at New Paltz, NY - BS in Music 1980-81
* Creative Music Studio - Woodstock, NY - 1980-81
* National Conservatory of Music - Madrid, Spain - 1978
* University of Panama - 1972 - 1976
* National Conservatory of Music - Republic of Panama - 1972 -1975
* Private Saxophone Instruction - Madrid,Spain(1979)
New York, USA(1989 - Present), Panama(2007)
* East Harlem Music School - Music Theory (1992)
* Brooklyn Conservatory of Music - Music Theory, Saxophone (1999-200)
* New Jersey Music Education and Advancement Program, NJ PAC (June, 2000)
Join the staff. Writers Wanted!
Develop a column, write album reviews, cover live shows, or conduct interviews.