All About Jazz needs your help and we have a deal. For $20, we'll hide those pesky Google ads and present exclusive content for a full year!
Maria Mendes is one the current rising stars on the jazz scene.
After successful performances at the Montreux Jazz Festival, Festival de Música de Inverno do Rio de Janeiro and Dutch Jazz Dag, Portuguese Jazz vocalist Maria Mendes will perform a series of concerts for the presentation of her debut album “Along the Road”. This is an international concert tour that started September 2012 with two sold out concerts in Portugal followed by a third sold out concert at the North Sea Jazz Club in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. This international tour will see Maria performing throughout South America, Europe, Asia and the USA in 2013.
Read more articles
What press worldwide says:
– “… with her clear voice and her own style the perfect vocal jazz album has arrived”
– “Mendes immediately profiles herself as a strong jazz singer. Intimacy and beauty from
the first track” JAZZISM (Netherlands)
– “There is no doubt that Maria Mendes is one of the best Jazz artists of this era”
WRITTEN IN MUSIC.COM (Netherlands)
– “Maria in the centre of the world” EXPRESSO (Portugal)
– “What Maria Mendes express with your voice is art and a real treat for the heart and
ears. Impressive!” DRAAI OM JE OREN.NL (Netherlands)
– “Sultry, perfectly timed Bossa Jazz” NRC (Netherlands)
– “… her vocal class shows it all, really perfect” JAZZ ZINE.NL (Netherlands)
– “Innocentia picks up where Along The Road ceased, but a few degrees more intense
where the phenomenal vocals, musicianship and originality are paramount at this fantastic
record” ON TOP OF MUSIC.NL (Netherlands)
– “‘Maria Mendes’s voice is full in character… Intimate and exhilarating”
– “The new language of the Jazz” JAZZ BULLETIN (Netherlands)
– “Sparkling debut! Mendes makes clear she has absolutely nothing to prove” ALL ABOUT
– “A promising debut from a singer that uses the world as her main stage” PÚBLICO
– “Maria Mendes impressed Basel with her elegant voice” BASLER ZEITUNGT
– 5***** O GLOBO (Brazil)
– 4****1/2 JAZZISM (Netherlands)
What jazz legends say:
– “I see a promising shining future for this young talented singer” QUINCY JONES (USA)
– “An album sung from the heart” SHEILA JORDAN (USA)
– “Maria Mendes singing is wonderful” DORI CAYMMI (Brazil)
– “Beautiful singing and great scat” HERMETO PASCOAL (Brazil)
– “I hope her crystal-clear voice and her precise diction will conquer your hearts like it did
mine” DAVID LINX (Belgium)
– “Listening to Maria’s singing is like feeling the morning glow touching my skin
Along the Road
Get Jazz Near You via email!
Enjoy the convenience of receiving a comprehensive listing of jazz events in your area every Thursday. It's free!