Flutist, Improvisor, Composer
Mark Lotz is more than just a big voice in the European jazz scene. He is at the forefront of jazz, classical and World Music and is obviously enjoying every minute of it! (Tomas Pena, Jazz.com & Latin Jazz Network)
Raised in Thailand, Uganda and Germany Marks appetite for musical adventures takes him all over the globe ever since. This spans an arc of collaborations with not only in jazz but also world music, theater, performance art, visual arts, film, dance and Vj. As veracious improviser and composer Lotz is transporting his fascinating horn into new areas of cutting edge contemporary music. His personal language combines esthetics and techniques of contemporary and classical music with the virility of jazz. Even when stripped to the essence Lotz conveys a joyful catchiness here. A vibrant presence on the international scene. His many collaborations received high acclaim.
- • Grew up in Thailand and Uganda as son of jazz researcher Dr. Rainer Lotz. Started playing flute at age of seventeen and ended up studying both jazz and classical music at the School of Arts Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Private tuition in the US. Price winner of the Karlovy Vary and Middlesea Jazz competions. 2008-2010 student of Indian Bansuri Flute at Codarts.
- Through the years Mark has performed and recorded with a huge cast of artists. Literally from A(rmenia) too Z(ambia). A.o. Don Byron, Chris Potter Tentet, Wolter Wierbos, with members of the Conjunto Folklorico Nacional de Cuba, Conjunto Folklorico de Oriente, Yoruba Anabo, Lucumi, members of the Clave y Guaguanco, Miguel Anga Diaz, Michael Moore, Luc Houtkamp, David Tronzo, Jason Robinson & Cosmologic, Najma Akthar, Kamil Erdem, Eddy Martinez, Lilian Vierra, Nicky Marrero, Petar Ralchev, Amelia Pedroso, Anatol Stefanet, Artdirectors, Harry Sparnay, David Haney, Achim Kaufman, Michael Dessen, Michael Vatcher, Scott Walton, Nathan Hubbard, Zuco 103, Giovanca, Wouter Hamel, Theo Lovendie, Michiel Borstlap, Luigi Archetti, Mathew Ostrowski, Islak Köpek, Umut Caglar, Ernst Reisegger, Han Bennink, Daniel Marques, Thomas Strønen, etc.
Take Five With...
Read more articles
- Unprecedented phenomenon in the Dutch impro-scene.
- Ambitious composer of unique contexts. (Cadence Magazine, USA)
- Errant jazz man (Global Rhythm, USA)
- Lotz opens a view into the jazz of the future. (Nieuwsblad v/h Noorden,
- Mark Alban Lotz - a German-Dutch genius and flute master. (Jazz,
- Prolific virtuoso. (FLY Magazine, UK)
- Lord Of The Flutes. (Sapsite Utrecht NL)
- A big voice in the European Jazz scene. (La Traversiere, France)
- Legend on different flutes (Africa News, USA)
- Combining smart and funky contempo jazz with Afro-Cuban ritual music
is always a good idea but it doesn't always work
Willing to teach
Teaches flute at the Utrecht Conservatory HKU The Netherlands