After 20 years of gradually building his rep as a reliable and versatile sideman on the Orange County, California circuit, guitarist Matthew Von Doran is finally stepping out as a leader in his own right with In This Present Moment. Produced by Jimmy Haslip, bassist with the internationally renowned Yellowjackets, this debut outing from Von Doran finds the guitarist surrounded by a cast of jazz heavyweights including saxophonists Bob Mintzer and Bob Sheppard, drummers Peter Erskine, Terri Lyne Carrington, Gary Novak and Marcus Baylor, B-3 organist Larry Goldings, bassists James Genus and Haslip himself. An impressive showcase that highlights Von Doran's warm, inviting tone and accomplished six-string work in a variety of settings, In This Present Moment is a fitting introduction to this new face on the post-Metheny/post- Scofield guitar landscape.
The record has a nice eclectic mix but it's not too all over the map, says Von Doran in addressing his own eclectic nature as a guitarist. From the hauntingly melodic opener Balance to the earthy N'awlins flavored funk of Measure Once to the fervently swinging Critical Mass, sparked by the ace rhythm tandem of bassist Genus and drummer Baylor and featuring a killing tenor solo from Mintzer, Von Doran still covers a lot of bases stylistically on In This Present Moment, showcasing a fluid linear approach and rich chordal voicings along the way. Organist Goldings adds a thick B-3 cushion underneath the aptly-named Swang, which is fueled by the briskly swinging, interactive pulse of Carrington on the kit and culminates in some heated trading between organ and guitar. That potent organ trio also appears on the breezy, Latin flavored Z and the more ethereal Ex Nihilo.
Matthew Von Doran Quick Quotes...
• Von Doran's debut announces the arrival of a singular voice on electric
and acoustic guitars. Everything about this recording works.
- Ejazz News
• 5 Stars! Guitarist Matthew Von Doran combines outstanding
composition, state-of-the-art sound, and a world-class lineup to create one
of the finest jazz albums in recent memory.
- Modern Drummer Magazine
• 4 Stars!!! Von Doran is an artist with vision and an emerging style that
makes him someone to watch. He is clearly his own man; there is no sense of
compromise on a recording that is completely engaging, with plenty of
melodic hooks, solid grooves and fine playing.
-All About Jazz
• Von Doran shines throughout this well played showcase...the majors
screwed up by letting this be an indie release.
- Midwest Record Recap
• Von Doran’s playing is truly inventive and versatile
Willing to teach
Beginner to advanced
Beginning, intermediate & advanced students in the Los Angeles & Saint Louis
area please call
949-642-3785 for more info or visit
In addition to fundamental jazz subject matter...
- Real world musicianship skills
- Creating a goal oriented practice agenda
- time management techniques
- the whole-music experience: mind, body, & spirit
- improving focus & concentration
- guitar master classes
- finding the essence of improvisational concepts.
- DIY music business & promotion: the new model for the jazz career
- performance concepts: using charts from his critically acclaimed CD, In this
Present Moment, Matthew takes the jazz ensemble through the steps of
discerning new music.