Michael Parkinson is Professor of Music at Ohio University. He teaches courses in jazz studies, music industry-entrepreneurship, and directs Jazz Ensemble II and the New Music Ensemble. Mike served as Director of the OU School of Music from 2007-2012. He performs with Jazz Spoken Here [www.jazzspokenhere.com] and Sweet Basil. [www.erniebastin.com]. From 1997-2007 Mike served as music department chair at Webster University in St. Louis. Previously he held faculty appointments at Case Western Reserve University, Furman University, and the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where he served as Director of Jazz Studies
Willing to teach
Advanced students only.
30+ years of teaching experience from intermediate through advanced students, college-university level and individuals. Workshops for high school/college/university jazz ensembles and combos, directors and students: ensemble interaction-rhythm-style, improvisation, rehearsal techniques, personal musicianship, jazz ensemble score/part editing, and so forth.
CLINIC PRESENTATIONS INCLUDE:
* BASIE, BEBEOP, BALLADS & BLUES - workshop/reading session on jazz ensemble literature, for middle school-advanced high school jazz bands
* BEYOND THE BLUES - jazz ensemble score editing procedures
* Jazz Improvisation - vernacular-technique, interaction-communications
* Jazz Ensemble & Jazz Combo workshops - for ensembles of all levels
* Developing Personal Musicianship - interactive workshop/presentation