Nancy Erickson has been bringing her rich, melodic vocals to the Pacific Northwest Jazz scene for over 3 decades. Hailed as “one of our best contemporary singers – full of feeling, wit… and a thoroughly winning originality” (Michael Steinman – Jazz Lives), Nancy is releasing her third solo CD “Nancy Erickson – Here and Now” on August 25, 2018. This album was recorded live by Jim Wilke (Jazz Northwest – KNKX) and includes unique arrangements of jazz standards (Honeysuckle Rose, Hot House, Night in Tunisia), some non-jazz tunes (Sting’s ‘Fragile’), and an original piece (Let Love Begin) written by Nancy Erickson & Darin Clendenin. “Here and Now” features the musical skills of the 200 Trio (Greg Feingold, Cole Schuster, Max Holmberg) and Alex Dugdale.
Read more articles
Nancy Erickson deserves our very close attention as a fully-formed artist, one of our best
contemporary singers — full of feeling, wit, affection, reverence for tradition and a thoroughly
- Michael Steinman - Jazz Lives
Erickson is an impressive singer, and she has produced an album that portends a bright
future for this jazz loving lady. '
- Joe Lang, Jersey Jazz
A skilled singer who is also an excellent songwriter....Ms. Erickson has an appealing tone,
does justice to lyrics and swings.
- Scott Yanow, Los Angeles Jazz Scene
Erickson is smart in her song choice and arrangements
Willing to teach
Intermediate to advanced
Private lessons available.
Nancy Erickson has 2 clinic options to choose from:
1) Building your set list and vocal styling
* How to create an interesting one hour set
* Work through 2 tunes and styling them (decisions regarding intros & endings, where to
solo/scat, when to improvise, sensitivity in singing, note choices that work within the chord)
* How to approach the band at a jam session
2) Youth or Adult Improvisation
* Basic scatting techniques - blues chord progression
* Repetition & copying
* Building on your scatting partner's solo
* Trading 8's, 4's, 2's
* How to tell your story through scat