Rick Hirsch is an award-winning composer and arranger who began his career as a personal music copyist for Bob Mintzer and Toshiko Akiyoshi. He has written music for jazz icons Yusef Lateef and Eddie Henderson, the Capitol Quartet, and the storied Penn State Blue Band, to name but a few.
He is in-demand as a guest conductor and formerly served on the music faculty of Penn State University.
In 2017 Rick Hirsch’s BIG OL’ BAND released their debut album, Pocono Git-Down, celebrating the vibrant under-the-radar jazz scenes beyond the big cities.
Hirsch studied improvisation with Yusef Lateef, Boysie Lowery, and Dave Liebman, and saxophone with Lynn Klock and Steve Duke
Great writing and blazing alto playing.
The language is rich and daring, and sometimes quite abrasive to my
ears...but it’s entirely stimulating!
(Queen guitarist) Brian May
State College, PA
Willing to teach
• Presented over 150 workshops to middle school, high school, and collegiate musicians throughout the country.
• Featured clinician at JEN Conference, Midwest Band & Orchestra Clinic, PMEA, Iowa Bandmasters
• Specialist on creative improvisation pedagogy
• MM from Northern Illinois University
• Guest conductor at University and All-State levels nationwide
• BA Summa Cum Laude from University of Massachusetts—Amherst
• Studies with Yusef Lateef, Boysie Lowery, David Liebman, Ron Carter, Jeff Holmes, Lynn Klock