Biography Rob currently plays sopranino, soprano, alto and tenor saxes plus clarinet.
After gaining a degree and diplomas at Manchester University and the Royal Northern College of Music, Rob Hall won a scholarship (worth half fees) to study at the U.S.A. Berklee College of Music under the tuition of Billy Pierce (Art Blakey etc.), Phil Wilson and others, specialising on both soprano saxophone and clarinet. Since then he has completed numerous tours with his own groups and projects. Performances and tours, along wth recordings and broadcasts for radio and television, have taken him throughout the UK, and to Germany, Italy, Romania, Poland, Czech Republic and USA.
What the press have said:
Engaging … I was immediately drawn in. (Musician magazine)
Saxophonist Rob Hall has made a substantial impression on both the local and European scenes in recent years. (The Guardian)
... a talent blessed with a staggering technique. (City Life, Manchester)
Hall has strong ideas and a playful sense of form. (Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD)
It's encouraging to hear a musician like Rob Hall blowing saxophone and clarinet in such a melodious way (Jazz Journal International)
Vibrant, often evocative ..
Willing to teach
Advanced students only.
professional experience (education :)
• Director/Co-ordinator The Music Workshop education venue in Clyde Valley 2006 -
• Jazz Examiner for Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) 2003 -
• Director Soundbase music education project at Arches Theatre Glasgow 2002 -
• Jazz Co-ordinator for Skye and Lochalsh Young Music Makers (SLYMM) 2000-1
• Lecturer in Jazz/Improvisation at Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama 1999-07
• Director/tutor Jazz Course UK running courses across the UK 1992 -
• Workshops/Clinics extensive experience including West Herts Jazz
School, Sheffield Jazz Workshop, RSAMD, Strathclyde University. 1992 -
• Tutor at Berklee College of Music, USA, Learning Assistance Program 1991-2
• Peripatetic Instrumental & Ensemble Tutor various including:
St. Faith's School, Cambridge (Prep);Watford School of Music,Dollar Academy 1990-
• Private tuition in clarinet / saxophone / piano / improvisation 1990-
Support All About Jazz's Future
We need your help and we have a deal. Contribute $20 and we'll hide the six Google ads that appear on every page for a full year!