Soesja Citroen (singer and composer) has brought her music to Dutch and international stages for over 25 years. In recent years, she has been singing her own compositions with pianist Berend van den Berg and bassist Ruud Ouwehand.
She was born in The Hague, was raised with classical music and as a teenager started to sing jazz. After completing her Master’s in social psychology, she opted for jazz and took voice and piano lessons.
Read more articles
Soesja Citroen: The only Dutch singer in the new Penguin
Penguin Guide writers Richard Cook and Brian Morton awarded the maximum of 4 * and wrote in 2005 about Citroen:
- Leading singer on the Dutch scene.
- This is a hugely exciting album, worthy of the widest notice.
- CD, which carries off its bruised romanticism with great conviction.
- The title song Song for Ma is magnificent.
- Time she was better known outside her native country.
Bruce Crowther reviewed in 2004 the CD Soesja Sings Citroen:
Soesja Citroen, a strikingly good singer from The Netherlands. She is also a very good songwriter as is demonstrated on this set as Soesja presents fifteen of her own love songs , all of which are melodically pleasing and have intelligent lyrics
Join the staff. Writers Wanted!
Develop a column, write album reviews, cover live shows, or conduct interviews.