Born: September 3, 1949
Onaje Allan Gumbs is one of the industry’s most respected and talented musical collaborators. He has worked for more than 30 years with an illustrious list of jazz, R&B and pop artists. In 1974, he created a special arrangement of Stella By Starlight for the New York Jazz Repertory Company as part of a concert honoring Miles Davis at Carnegie Hall. He followed that with live and recorded performances with such artists as Lenny White, Buster Williams, Cecil McBee and Betty Carter. In 1975,Onaje joined forces with trumpeter, Nat Adderley as part of his quintet contributing to the group’s releases on Atlantic and Steeplechase Records. Producer Nils Winter of Steeplechase upon hearing Onaje’s improvisations, invited the young pianist to record a solo piano project entitled Onaje....
- Bloodlife: Solo Piano Improvisations Based on the Melodies of Ronald Shannon... by John Kelman
- Sack Full of Dreams by John Kelman
- Remember Their Innocence by William Grim
- Remember Their Innocence by Jerry D'Souza
- Remember Their Innocence by John Kelman